View Single Post
Old 11-26-2010, 04:56 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool ok..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel Budnyk View Post
It is a Fawcett/English Extension, but it sounded like (due to the way Mr. Kolstein described it) it is manufactured for Kolstein.
Regardless of it being Kolstein or T.Martin, I think it is the same machine. Is your ext. fingerboard painted black under the machine or is it Ebony? I ask becase from England they come mounted on something other than Ebony and are painted black from what I have heard. A luthier I know says he makes a new ebony ext. board and re-mounts the entire machine on it.

After looking at pictures on-line I know now my old one in the early '70s was the Stenholm so I have never used this exact kind. I will get to try one out though before long as someone is coming by within the next month that has one.

I am working on Mendelssohn's 'Overture zu Ruy Blas' for next week and it has a few quickies in there down low, especially towards the end. I am trying to decide between 3 basses with the same extension which one I can 'spit' the notes out quicker, cleaner and easier on. It looks like the Hart but I am working with a new set of strings on the Panormo. Let's see.. lol