View Single Post
Old 02-26-2008, 09:31 AM
Junior Posting Member

Terry Atkinson is on a distinguished road

Ken,

What a great story. Thanks for sharing it. Its nice to know that I have an instrument connected to such a colorful history. I guess its fair for me to relate how I acquired the bass.

I have been a guitar player for 30+ years, and never played bass until 2000, when I began putting together my studio. At the time, I was recording keyboard bass, but was not very happy with the sound or the process. I started hunting around for an electric bass.

A good friend, who is also a jazz bass player, has played the same Smith since the late 80s. He obviously recommended them highly. I tried a few in my travels and began to lock in on finding one. I had more or less settled on a new BSR5 in maple from the Bass Palace in Scranton PA.

Being that I am in Ottawa, and unable to try that particular bass without buying first, I asked the guy, if money was no object (up to a point), what is the best sounding bass he has in his shop. He told me this CR5, which he had recently bought at a show, likely related to the "sale" by his wife. Frankly, it was premium priced at the time, but the possible connection to Chuck Rainy intrigued me. So I bought it.

I have used it for recording since, and recently began playing it regularly in my weekly "gig" at church -- my first bass gig. Like I said above, I totally enjoy this bass. Though I still have an eye out for a nice BSR5 in tiger maple.

Terry