Thread: Blockless..
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2012, 07:48 AM
Senior Posting Member

Arnold Schnitzer is on a distinguished road
Talking

Sorry maestro but I don't have the info you are seeking. What I wanted to elucidate, though, is the situation at the back button on the bass you pictured. Many blockless basses one encounters have a similar break there. That's because when the bass was made the neck had an extended "foot" that was glued to the back in place of having an internal neck block. Unfortunately it's a pretty weak system, and a bump to the neck often results in serious damage to the upper back. That is especially true if the bass falls sideways onto the scroll. Then you will often see the evidence not only in the form of a back break, but ribs, which unsupported by a block, tear apart at the neck joint. Interestingly, here at the Oberlin workshop this week, two guys are rebuilding blockless basses. The block installation is a complicated one, involving a plaster mold of the area, extensive block carving/fitting, and a complex glue-up. (Ken, I know you know this stuff, and you know that I know that you know, but I thought it might interest other bass nerd viewers.)