View Single Post
Old 08-25-2009, 02:21 PM
Posting Member

Dave Martin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Edge View Post
I do think the amp does not move enough air at the lower volumes to produce adequate "quality" sound.
I dunno, Don - I've used large amps like the SVT I used on my last fly date, medium sized amps (My raggedy old SWR Super Redhead, the Eden Metro that's in my garage and a 4x10 Ampeg and head that lives in my studio), and small amps (I have a 35 watt B15 in the studio and I'm trying out the 1x12 150 watt Fender Bassman TV 12). I can get a smile producing sound from all of them (Though the Metro, for some reason is more problematic).

Over the years, I've played through a bunch of venue or rental company supplied amps that were small combo amps - the little SWR Working Man 10, a bunch of different Fender amps in the 100-200 watt range, even the occasional guitar amp (Some bluegrass promoters don't appear to know the difference between guitar and bass amps - or they don't care). They can all be made to work.

Day in and day out, I hear my basses most often through a pair of studio speakers with 6.5 inch woofers - or through headphones. Moving air shouldn't be a necessity - unless what you think of as a 'quality sound' is linked to the way the bass sound fills the room.

Can you describe what you want to hear from your amp? How do you want to hear your bass in relation to the drum volume?