View Single Post
Old 01-03-2021, 09:07 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radomir Polivka View Post
First of all a happy new year to everyone.

This forum is the best resource when it comes to all 50 shades of Pirastro Flexocores, so I would like to ask you for little advice. I am happy with Original Flatchromes on my bass except the G string which is very bright and not really usable with the rest of the set. I suspect the G string was faulty but as I read on this forum, OFC G tend to be bright even when the string is manufactured well. So instead of buying a new single Original Flatchrome G I am looking for another G string to complement the set. What do you recommend? From this forum I understand Flexocore Stark G or Original Flexocore G should be close to Original Flatchrome. Is there any recent model that should be considered as well (e.g. Kaplan)?

So far, I tried Evah Pirazzi, Flexocor DeLuxe, Permanent and Belcanto G. All of them are usable, but none of them matches the OFC sound colour which I would describe as "dry", "woody", sometimes almost "sandy". Also they require less bow pressure.

The bass is a plain pre-war Czech flatback (Schoenbach), 107cm string length. Used only for arco in orchestra range (i.e. only a few semitones above octave).

Thank you for any input. It will be really appreciated.

I think you should try the Stark 92 G or even use G and D 92..