View Single Post
Old 07-04-2007, 07:18 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool Thorough...

I have a Sticky here on Flexs and had a big Thread on TB awhile Back from which I pulled my info. Also, as I was testing strings I posted some of the results on TB. That was about 2-3 years ago.

On the Thomastics I have experience with Spiros, Superflexible (Rope Core) and Belcantos. I don't know much at all about Dominants. The Bel's are the best of the group for Bowing. Superflexibles are also Bowable as are Spiros but that depends on the Bass and the mix of strings in the Set. I have the Superflex Ext.E/C mixed with the Orch.Eurosonics. I have also used that E/C with Helicores which came on my Cornerless Bass but I removed them the same day along with the Ext and put a set of 92s on with a Stark E.

If you need the E/C for the Starks, call me as I bought the entire remaining Stock at one of the Distributors here when I heard they were discontinued. The rest of the set in Starks are still available but not the Ext. string.

On a comparison, a player took out my Bisiach to try and put on a set of Orig. Flexs. that I had in stock. 'That's the sound' he remarked when we got the Strings on. When I got the Bass back I just didn't like the tone. When I put back the old set of Flexs on it (don't recall if they were Starks or reg gauge), the darker smoother sound came back in seconds. Different strokes...