View Single Post
Old 05-17-2008, 11:30 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool Pizz?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBi View Post
Ken, your summary of the Pirastro strings is really helpful. Could you rate the strings for pizz as well as arco? Good sustain, etc. and also a mention if any particular string (e.g. an E) in a family stands out in some way. If possible, Permanents as well?

I'm asking as I'm using Original Flat Chrome at the moment, playing about 70% orchestral 30% jazz. Next time I buy, I'll probably switch to a darker string (maybe Flex 92) and it would be really useful to get a view as to how the other strings compare to the OFC.
My opinion on the Pizz quality of these Orchestra Strings depends greatly on your particular Bass itself. Put them on a German Shop Bass and they might sound dead. Put them on my Storioni and the sound like Spiros.

The OFC worked well on my Gilkes but then again so did every other string I had on that Bass which included Obligatos, OFCs, Flex 92s, Flex 92 Stark, Flex 92s with Stark E and Evah Pirazzi's. On my Martini Flexs and other Bowing strings do not Pizz as well but Obligatos do. On my Storioni everything Bows and Pizz's fantastic. My Hart has only had 92s and they Pizz ok but that's an Orchestra Bass so is just does what it's supposed to do. On the other hand, all the Basses I have that I just mentioned are Orchestra Basses as well. If the Top floats well, it Pizz's well and if the Bass is a clearer sounding Bass rather than a darker sounding Bass, it can pizz well too. Permanents have less of a quality sound than the others mentioned. The either sound bright to me or dark on the bottom when broken in. I never liked the G and D in that set for the Bow.

The best 'everything' Basses I have had included the Gilkes, the Storioni and the Dodd I used to have. The Dodd was about the best low end crunch powerhouse I had ever heard. The Storioni is similar to the Dodd but will a darker smoother silky olive oil Italian sound. Basses like this are rare but can be found. They just cost somewhere in the neighborhood of a few cars or a house depending.

One more thing. If you like the flat Chromes and need something darker, be aware that the 92s may not Pizz as well on your Bass. The Es are usually softer in that set. The OFC E might be better to leave on or mix the tops and bottoms with the 92s on the G and D.

My Gilkes has the 92s on it now but the E/C ext. string is the original/Original FC which then was called Eudoxa Steels. This was a string someone had lying around slightly used from over 20 years ago. It's so smooth and dark. It blends fairly well with the 92s and sounds even smoother.

I am doing a Pops type concert tonight and had done the 2 rehearsals with the Martini (92s Starks all the way including the E/C which the discontinued but I bought a bunch b4). The Pizz was actually too dark and deep so last night I packed up my Gilkes to use for tonight instead, It has a punchier type Pizz tone regardless of the strings used.

It's usually more of matching the String to the Bass than the player. When you hear the sound you are looking for, you will know it. Each Bass itself will not sound the same because of the string you choose. It's really what works best on that particular Bass. Some Basses are easier to fit and some harder string wise.