View Single Post
Old 09-01-2010, 12:06 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool ok..

I have moved this to the German School section. It can just as easily be in the German Shop bass section being the style and the period but being one of the nicer grade basses from its time, this is the best section for it.

Why was it guessed French besides him not knowing what is NEVER on a French Bass? Because it is a Violin shaped bass with slightly sloped shoulders.

The string length for this bass is of the period guessed as German. The Bout widths are also what you find on German basses, especially the lower bouts. The Gears are German and the Outer Linings are German, NEVER French. Please tell him he owes me $500 for this lesson. I hope this guy doesn't write and charge for appraisals!

Mid 1800's?.. lol.. Who is this guy? I hope not the one who sold you the bass.

Italian? Well it is Violin shaped and many German basses are copies of the Italian School. Just the basic outline mainly. Almost never the graduations and NEVER the sound as for as basses like this go. Just a look-a-like bass.

The Gears fit the period of the bass and I am guessing original to the bass.

The Bass is also over-varnished quite a bit with some darker stuff from all of the repairs. They seem like they were trying to cover up the work rather than match up the varnish after the repairs. That makes it look older to the untrained eye.