View Single Post
Old 04-27-2012, 10:40 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Swan View Post
Are there any construction details that would generally distinguish build styles between Mirecourt and Paris builders during the 1830-60 period? These could be varnishes, purfling, outline, arching, plate thicknesses, etc.
Not that I am aware of. Read the story about the notes of George Gemunder on Vuillaume. You will get a bit of insight into Paris building there. I think the differences might better be noticed inside as far as Mirecourt factory/shop work and individual hand work, maybe. Paris to Mirecourt is not that far. Many makers trained in Mirecourt regardless of where they settled. The last time I saw a bass appraised from a big shop as 'Paris', I told the owner in 3 seconds flat the bass was German and made later in build.

Paris was an expensive place to work in as compared to Mirecourt. If a maker could afford to work in that city, he would probably be one of the recognised makers, label or not. Most though did use a label on everything as a matter of business if not just pride alone.

Show me the bass here on line or in an email if you like. Talking over and over thru various threads fishing for information is pointless unless you show to pictures to go with the words.