View Single Post
Old 04-22-2015, 02:37 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Default Scale 33 1/4 in.??

Really, 33 1/4" or.. 43 1/4"?

Being a violin cornered round back with sloping shoulders makes it a nicer grade bass. Mainly the wood, and corners. With the varnish re-done its not easy to tell if it was an oil or spirit or what color it was before.

Regardless of the varnish, I think the Saxon area pre or post war is the ball park. I think it would be possible to use old pre-war machines on post-war basses IF that's what the shop had left over in stock. On the string length (mensur or scale length for guitar people), if it is 43 1/4, then possibly pre-war as many 3/4s from the the late 19th to early 20th centuries were made a good inch or so longer in playing length than post war basses were made. I have seen 41s as well with older Bohemian flatbacks or roundbacks but many of the German made basses were long.

As far as an actual maker if there even was a maker or shop, I have no idea. The Germans made so much of the same thing for over 100 years that without a label that is authentic, you will never know. Also, even with a label, it could be a brand or shop label and not the maker or shop where it was made.