Thread: Bumpers...
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2008, 04:35 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool Inlaid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by martini View Post
I've recently been on a weeks course with the English player, Danny Thompson.
His fine old full size French Bass, is attributed to Gand C1865 and Danny had Ebony inlaid into the the actual edges of the upper and lower bouts several years ago.

No doubt a tricky job, but it works very well. Has anyone else come across that solution?
My Hart Bass had small round Ebony bumpers on both sides of the Bass upper and lower bouts. They were inlaid thru the Rib but not thru the Lining. These were very old. The previous restoration was done in 1944 and all the Ribs were doubled inside without any lining so the Bumpers were under the Doubling but thru the Ribs.

All of this work was removed during the recent restoration and the Bumper holes filled. Ribs were re-repaired and Lining was installed inside the Bass as it should be.

Here is a picture of the old Bumpers what little you can see in this pic;

These round Button style inlaid were on both sides, a total of 8 of them on the Bass. Here is what they look like now with the new Ebony fitted (not inlaid) Bumpers.

Hey, I just realized that my first and initial post of this Thread has all thee Pics and more. I mentioned they were 'dowel pinned' but maybe 'inlaid' would have been and easier term to understand.

I can't see what they should be inlaid unless done to cover up some other damage to the Ribs of the Bass. If you mean inlaying them intro the actual Edges of the Top and Back I think that's strange and easy to break off in time. The Purpose of the Bumpers are to actually 'protect' the outer edges. Why use them as Bumpers?