View Single Post
Old 07-06-2009, 11:57 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up humm

Interesting pics. I would also like to see the rear button of the Scroll/pegbox.

The Scroll and Gears looks original to each other. I would say Mittenwald 1820-1860 period, maybe later. Not sure. Do you know for sure if this Scroll is original to the Bass?

The Braces in the Back (would like to see the lower one too) look German as well, like seen on Hornsteiner Basses. But, the Bars have been thinned across the top of them. The oxidation on the edge is way older than the top.

The Back Button area does not look original meaning it was cut. The upper block and Rib-Neck caps of Ebony are part of that cut.

The inner linings are from various dates but does look like German work internally.

Jeff, in your first post with the two pics (Seitz bass?) you show some measurements. Are they from this bass or that bass?

This Bass also has some northern Italian flavor which is why I think it is Mittenwald from the early-mid 19th century. Very interesting looking bass. Thanks for the pics. More pics would be welcomed.