View Single Post
Old 07-16-2009, 12:22 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up wow..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Campbell View Post
I agree Ken. I sit between a fabulous Gagliano and Ventepane bass in the Rochester Philharmonic played by two wonderful and seasoned bassists and my old Mittenwald bass keeps pace with these two Italian instruments. Between the three of us in the back row of the section, we put out a lot of sound. And it's not a matter of volume but quality and depth of sound.
Like the Mittenwald basses discussed here, both these Italian basses are perfled in the front but NOT in the back. They are Gamba shape with flat backs. The Ventapane has a 44 inch string length and the player has the same bridge that came with the bass in the late 1960s when there were still gut strings on the bass. Both have been cut down.
Nice story there Jeff. I wish more Orchestra Pros like yourself would come up and Post.

I think that it was not all that uncommon for makers to leave off the Purfling on the Back or in some cases like my Martini, front and back are without. The deep edges make one think there is something there but just a bevel line at the bead. Basses like these big Gambas whether Italian, Mittenwald or English have a lot in common. My Big Gamba is believed to be all 3 origins depending on who you ask and for good reason. It resembles a bit of each style. Who or where it was made will remain a mystery but for me, if the sound is there, then you can just sit back, relaxe and enjoy the ride..