View Single Post
Old 06-27-2007, 02:02 PM
Senior Posting Member

David Powell is on a distinguished road
Default time traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
Cool stuff. When they start writing for the 7 string in Orchestra, that's the day I retire for good..lol
Doubtful that will happen in our lifetimes, so play it to the end of the piece!

But going back to the Bach Brandenburgs: I think there are some with only a continuo score, and I'm guessing that those or even the ones with the DB score might have been scored for G violones with 5 or 6 strings. It's hard to tell because the coninuo was sometimes done on a harpsichord or whatever was available. There is of course still the question of which octave was intended, but I haven't found much on that. And that is not as significant an issue as that those parts were probably scored for an instrument that through crossings could play the octave passages more easily. Apparently violones could be tuned several ways, but all fourths wouldn't be too different from the more standard 3 fourths, a major third, and then two fourths. Just a crazy theory. What is a good source for scores of the Bach pieces? I'd love to give those a look. [EDIT: Never mind, I found them. Public domain. Love the Internet!]

Last edited by David Powell; 06-27-2007 at 10:19 PM. Reason: omission