View Single Post
Old 03-22-2010, 02:17 PM
Posting Member

Eric Hochberg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Stark View Post
From everything I've read (albeit I know virtually nothing about Jazz) it seems that life as a professional jazz musician can be incredibly difficult, especially in the beginning. Would you all assess my opinion as on mark? At least with classical bass there is the prospect of auditions and getting some form of tenured position, whereas with Jazz, it's all about reputation and couple bad gigs can break you...Please stop me if I'm incorrect. Tough life indeed.
Yes, life as a professional jazz musician can be difficult, especially these days with the decline of jazz as popular music. Most jazz people I know play other gigs, too. I always supplemented my jazz life with recording sessions, corporate and private parties as leader and sideman, teaching, and educational programs. Unfortunately, much of this work has also been on the decline over the last ten years or so. Many players are trying to get teaching gigs at the university level now to make up for the lack of playing opportunities.

I suggest reading Jason Heath's "Road Warrior" series on doublebassblog.org to get an idea of what classical musicians go through when they don't land that major symphony gig and have to freelance.