View Single Post
Old 01-23-2021, 07:37 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Stefaniw View Post
Hi Ken, I recently came across a 1956 juzek MA violin cornered 41.5" that needs top-off repairs and I'm trying to get a sense for its value in its current condition. Here are some pix.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/JJViumQHieJUWp797

First off, I don't think it is a MA model. The 'Copy of' and the 905' are Violin #s and Label. Often seen in basses. The Basses never had 'copy of' and were 405 (I can check the old Catalog next week) for a MA bass IF it was labelled as Juzek as usually they left the Wilfer label in. Also, the MA model did Not have plate tuners but individual chrome french style Rubners. Here is a pic of my MA model with only the Wilfer label and the owner after me and still as I sold it in 1974/75 to him.The label torn off has a faint 4 at the end. Probably was your correct label. Also, your sound post repair needs to be done again with a proper post patch inlaid, feathered in, not cleats. So, depending on who does the work, you are looking at $2000 and up. So maybe $8-12k repaired, possibly more if the sound is killer. Rough estimate but it is not a MA model, but close. So many Juzeks are mis-labled and are far far off from a MA model and not even a Wilfer, who made them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1916024_103237949692930_7845608_n.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	3879