View Single Post
Old 04-18-2009, 10:48 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronson Hall View Post
I really, really appreciate that response!

I've had my SWR Goliath III for a long while. When I first acquired my Eden Traveler Plus, I used it to power my SWR for quite a while (sounded great to me!). I was speaking to a sales guy when I bought the Shuttle, informing him I had the SWR. He told me that, at about 350-400 watts feeding into the SWR from the Eden, it was a wonder I hadn't damaged my SWR a long time ago, as I was under-powering the cab. He said the Goliath III needed a minimum of 600 watts to run efficiently.

I was a little shaken after that conversation, as I did not want to "tear up" my Goliath! However, as I mentioned before, I had apparently been "under-powering" my Goliath for a long while (according to the sales guy), with no obvious adverse effects at all.

I started running the SWR Golith III (8 ohms) with my Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 & 210 GB cab (8 ohms) at church three weeks ago (the Shuttle pumps 600 watts at 4 ohms). All I can say is, it sounds great and, so far, so good!
You're NOT going to hurt your cabinet: He's incorrect. You may be underpowering it a bit and it would be nice if you had a bass amp that puts out 600W or more at 8 ohms to get the most from your cabinet. FYI: Some amps allow you to bridge at 8 ohms. By doing this you are combining amps to produce about 2X the output level of the unbridged 8 ohm signal, thus, supplying all the power needed to drive that cabinet to it's fullest and then some, but that doesn't mean your cabinet won't work well for you with what you have; it will.

What you really need to try is adding another 8 ohm cabinet. Most cabinets are wired parallel, so, all you would need to do is run out of one cabinet into the other. Remember, connecting 2 8 ohm cabinets to your amp will increase the load to 4 ohms. Provided your amp can handle a 4 ohm load, you won't have any issues. You will hear a huge difference in output and have all the coverage you will most likely need. Try it and see.

Also.......

You can NEVER have TOO MUCH headroom. My PLX-3602 will put out 3600W . Will I ever need or use that? Maybe, maybe not. But it sure is nice to know it's there IF I need it.

Last edited by Tim Bishop; 04-19-2009 at 02:31 AM.