View Single Post
Old 02-27-2009, 05:09 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool gave?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Prowse View Post
The Weichs (with a E BC) are sounding great. I gave the EPs to my brother. I played solo the other night in a blackboard concert (90% arco). It was great to have the Weichs on board.
I hope your brother plays classical DB. These are one of the top strings in Orchestras today. I know of several great players using them.

When they first came out I put a set on my Gilkes and the bass shortly after went out on sale trial. The customer put Flex 92s on the G&D because he said they rang more. I thought the Evah's were just fine top to bottom and that is with the Ext E/C. I did Beeth. 6th on that fingering all the separate 16ths in the Storm. The Bass sounded just great.

The Gilkes fell out of my rotation when the Hart came in from restoration and also using the Martini as well after a restoration on that. Today I was playing some of the Basses when my son pointed out that I play better on the Gilkes. His observation was that me and the Gilkes work best than me with the Hart or Martini and I had been playing mainly the Martini the last few weeks.

Well, I had some old Orig. Flexs on the Gilkes that I put on to try a while back and althought they worked ok, I never got used to the sound. The Ext.E/C was an old Eudoxa FlatChrome (now called Orig. FlatChr.). A few weeks ago I bought some strings to have for my Basses here in the shop and got a set of the Evah's once again. I just put them on the Gilkes and the Bass seems louder and deeper off the bat. Not smoother and not less smooth than the Flexs but just different.

So Richard, you just gave away a great set of strings.