View Single Post
Old 05-09-2009, 01:10 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Evah Weichs

So, what are these Evah Weichs really like as a Hybrid String? For me, Hybrid means I can play full Orchestra or full Jazz with the same set of strings on the same Bass. Add to that using the same set-up as well including string height being the same either way. One exception might be using a Pickup & Amp for Jazz.

Well, I put them first on my Big English Bass (aka Gamba Supreme or 'Big Ben' as it's known to a few, lol) and did just one Orchestra rehearsal with it. This was not the fault of the String. The Neck was too thick and the Heel to high, post-restoration. The Bass was slated for a C-Ext. anyway so I removed the Strings to try on another Bass because the Weichs don't have an E/C currently.

I put them next on my Mougenot which has quite a bit of Camber in the Neck and Fingerboard which will get corrected once it goes into restoration in the future. Why did I put them on a bass that needs work done? Well, one of my Gigs is a Show with a small B'way type Orchestra (25-30 pcs?), no Amp and we have about 10-12 services to perform. I needed a fairly big Bass to cut thru and this one fits the bill. The other reason is that the Weichs have lower tension and with the Camber of this Neck/Fingerboard being way more than 'my' personal norm, the string itself makes it possible to use the Bass. I also had a Combo Gig with Amp to use this set-up on and it worked out just fine. I have a Symphony Gig this week but doing some Ellington & Gershwin. I have all the Jazz parts to play being principal but some of them are Orchestral. I am using an Amp on most of the Concert.

They Pizz great on this Bass with or without an Amp and Jazz pizz or Orchestral pizz. They also Bow fine as well with or without the Amp as it's called for in the venue.

The Mougenot being in some state of disrepair as well as having Neck issues actually works quite well with these Evah Weichs despite its condition.

These Strings actually made me like the Bass better which before I would not even take it out. Now I feel that the Bass could easily be my Hybrid Instrument down the road as it sure has proven itself these past few weeks and gave me confidence to use it for all of this months work.

The Evah Weichs in my book are a great string. I think I like them better then the regular Evah's. The only way to really know is to try them both on the same exact bass. Calvin?