Thread: Playing Jazz
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2010, 09:37 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool "One Flew Over......".. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Warburton View Post
Richard, I took Kenny's advice and read through that thread. To be truthful and you know it as well as anybody here, it reads like something outta "One Flew Over......"
I won't be involved in something like that.
I will answer your question to the best of my ability.
I don't make note choices per se when I'm soloing. I try to play melodies that sound good to me that fit with the chord changes within the structure of the tune. I don't think much about it....if it sounds good to my ears I play it....if it doesn't I don't.
IMO, IME, YMMV and WRGAF. (four things I've learned to include in my posts when I sense weirdness on the horizon).
Yes Paul, "One Flew Over......".. and landed in NZ.

Thanks, I thought it was just me!

Hey, imagine someone here going over to TB and posting/copying that 'Down Here' Thread post by post as Richards is almost the only one talking. I wonder how long it takes before a Mod does or says something.. lol

For Solo's I try as well working either around the Melody, making one of my own in the same changes (not so easy on the fly) or just making something up while blending the chords like little patterns around the various connected changes. Not the most melodic way but gets you from A to B when your turn is up.