View Single Post
Old 11-04-2013, 01:09 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Exclamation warning to all..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunter Grass View Post
sorry for the late reply. the seller is private, although he sells more often basses and sends me emails if he offers one. i could ask him if its ok if i send you his contact info.

regards
There are many people around the world as well as shops now trying to pass off these fakes as real. I was just offered several basses from Italy and each of the basses claiming to be old Italian were in my opinion new Hungarian or slightly older Hungarian or German. Not one was Italian or near the age claimed.

People can make a business selling new basses as old. I have several NEW basses in stock that were made to look old and I sell them as new. I also have some that were re-built with some old parts like original top and back and new ribs and re-built scroll or pegbox from other basses. These we call Composite basses with mixed parts new and old. I can sell them as all old and original but that would be a lie and no one would know but me and the maker. Only an expert or many of them together can map out the forensics of what this bass is an was. I have the recipe from the people that sold me the basses so it is passed on honestly and without deception. Be careful with people that always have old basses without cracks and distress from age.