Thread: new back?
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2010, 12:59 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool X's..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Sheridan View Post
I have seen a few flat back basses with only one brace in the back for the soundpost and they seem to have held up very well.
Also, I think the X Brace is supposed to help the cracking problem, but I haven't tried it myself. Didn't someone say that Prescott introduced the X Brace?
Generally I prefer flat back basses.
I have never seen a Prescott with an X-brace but I did hear of him doing this. Also, there are so many Yankee basses 'named' Prescott that in my opinion are just not. If one of these Prescott 'like' basses had the X then it would be possible that he was credited with something that he never actually did. On the Prescott theory, how many basses like this, Prescott or others still have their original Braces? Yes you can see scars of previous work but still, you have to make sure what's original before giving a maker a particular claim.

I know of two basic X patterns. One with a lap joint in 2 pieces in total and one without the joint, 3 pieces. The longer piece under the 'post being solid with 2 attached pieces forming the X.

Then, there is the quasi half-X. I have that on two basses now with a third in restoration getting it as well. One long single slanted piece and a smaller angled bar opposite it at the lower bout. Sometimes another piece at the top.

On the French Basses with the single 'step' like center brace these are theories about this. My Mougenot is like that but the center seam has opened up from the bottom all the way up about 2/3 of the way. Now, the Back has to be rejoined with possibly a center strip added. I don't think it will be a single brace when it goes back together.

On a roundback, a single center brace is nice to have as well. It helps to spread the sound across the back and takes the pressure off a single place under the post. In this case, if the Post gets tight in the winter, it will most likely open a c-bout seam on that side, top or back. I had two openings this winter. The back on a flatback and the top on a round back. No splits, just a seam and a sign to check the post fit.