View Single Post
Old 12-07-2010, 03:07 PM
Junior Posting Member

Joshua Daniel Walker is on a distinguished road

Hey guys,

thanks for the feedback. I do have a few worries about the bass. I know now that obviously it is a copy. There is no way that it's a Vuillaume. I also don't know how I feel about buying a copy.

I feel a bit of despair on finding a new bass! I've spent a week with this one, and it seems like everything is so confused in my mind. It's such an exhausting thing to do.

Do you guys think $16,000 is reasonable for this bass? I don't mind the big shoulders, and find that they don't get in my way too much, but I haven't had a ton of time to play all over the board. Also, it's an Eb board, and I'm use to a D. I'm getting use to an Eb neck, and actually prefer it, but it's still going to take time and practice to get use to it.

I love the huge tone that I get from it. The other DB player that I showed it to found that it had a huge tone as well, and said it reminded him of Ray Brown or Ron Carter, but these comments don't really mean anything to me. I asked him to play it so I could hear it from the front, but he has such light pizzicato that I couldn't really hear him over the other people in the hall. That raises another thing. I find the action is a bit to high for me, and it makes it hard to make the bass really 'sing', like a lot of basses do with lower action. I'm worried that if the bridge was lowered, then the volume would not be as it was before, and I'd lose that 'huge' tone that I like from it.

Also, I find that the tone on the D and G string is a bit nasally. I HATE this, but I haven't heard it from the front, so I don't know if it's just nasally for me. Really, I just want the bass to be loud with a good tone, not be nasally when bowed, and to sing very easily.

Last edited by Joshua Daniel Walker; 12-07-2010 at 03:31 PM.