View Single Post
Old 06-15-2007, 04:44 PM
Senior Posting Member

David Powell is on a distinguished road
Default Perhaps too serious for this area, but generally reliable advice on cat pee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan haskins View Post

....During that time, he made a nest in my bass bag and peed all over it.

The cat is fine now. ....

The bag still stinks a little.
The drummer in my jazz ensemble has the same thing happen to his bass drum case. Cat pee chemistry: The pee residue is alkaline. It can be neutralized with a weak vinegar (acidic) solution. Best thing is mix it in a spray bottle like Glass Plus or 409 come in. It is not as harsh as those chemicals. I'd go about 1:5 or so vinegar to water. Then you can just hose the bag (garden hose!) and let it dry in the sun. The sun will go a long way to knock out odors.

I wouldn't put my DB in a bag the cat peed on because that stuff will transfer to whatever it gets close to. It's designed to mark territory, which means it is an invitation to other animals to do the same. It is pretty corrosive stuff, too.

A Chinese pug marked the cover of my ampeg cab (@#%$%$#! animals!) and I hosed it (garden hose) immediately and used laundry soap when I got it home. I think any decent bass bag or amp cover can take a good hosing. And a water filled squirt gun is a great way to "discourage" pets that get too close to gear.