View Single Post
Old 03-27-2011, 03:01 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb getting smaller?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Parker View Post
Man, these basses look amazing. I would love to give one a whirl one of these days.

So, my question is, why are they getting smaller? They all seem to have been cut down. What has changed since they were made that everyone reduces them in size?
When 'Solo bass' became more popular it became evident that these bigger shouldered and full sized basses were just too big to get around on. Also, once you play an easier to manage 3/4-7/8, the idea of having a full sized and or full shouldered bass becomes less by the minute!

Playing the Orchestra music on a big bass is also not as much 'fun' these days as the demand is quite high. Economically, most your professionals shopping for a new bass to get 'that' orchestra gig wants the same bass to play both excerpts and solo on. Prices of these classics today also make it harder to own more than one expensive bass as well.

The most desirable basses today are those with 'the sound' and easy to play.

Many players that have played on 4/4 type basses for decades look forward to down sizing in measurements but not sound. Those players however that have landed a good steady job in a section are also trying to keep up with these powerful organ tones biggies so they sometimes in the aftermath, shop for that big monster that no one will mess with.

In the higher priced basses I have sold as many or more bigger basses than 3/4 or modified style 7/8ths over time. The bigger ones usually, but not always has that extra floor shaking quality that impresses all the players around you. This includes the podium, violins and brass as well. I have received complements from across the stage many times. Hardly ever though with a smaller bass in hand.