View Single Post
Old 03-27-2011, 03:10 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up sounds like..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Parker View Post
I like it. What it lacks in symmetry, it makes up for in character. Visually speaking, that is. I have no idea what it sounds like.
It would be hard to describe unless we have both together heard the same basses that we can compare it to.

The sound is thick and organ like but sweet on top, not dry at all. It also sounds old and relaxed. My Panormo is similar but not as 'wet' in the sound. Both are silky though but describing sound is like describing taste. Not so easy as we all perceive things individually. The Tarr to my ears has more of a melodic Italian tone across the full range of the bass. The Panormo is maybe more floor shaking and sweeter on top but dryer in the middle.

The flat back of the Tarr along with its slightly reduced size feels to me easier to play and get around than the Panormo mainly because I am more of a 3/4-7/8ths player than a 4/4 huger. The slightly wider bouts don't seem to be a problem either considering its size as compared to the 4/4 Panormo which was also slightly reduced at the Block and in its length.

Still, if left with only one bass to play, I would welcome either the Panormo or Tarr with open arms. Opened a bit wider than usual..lol