Thread: Smith Basses
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2011, 07:58 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool Just 1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick Schurger View Post
I've just read thru this thread, and I suspect Ken will give us a simple and amazing answer to my question here. I'm the proud owner of a CR-5G (I'll post a pic and serial number a little later) and in my playings, I've decided that my next bass will be a 6-string fretless. I've been trying out other basses just to see what else is out there, but the 6-string fretless basses aren't readily available in Central IL at most shops. But I did happen across one recently that only had one pickup near the bridge. And looking around online, I've seen that trend more and more. But not on the Smith basses.

So my question to Ken is simply, is there some benefit in doing that (single pick-up only near the bridge), or is it just a fad?

BTW, the more I look, the more I know I'll be getting a Smith 6-string fretless when I make the move.

Frederick
One pickup at the bridge sames money. Less one pickup, routing, blend/balance control and some screws, springs and wiring.

That's what you save!

What you loose more importantly is the sound of the front pickup and the ability to blend the two of them.

I have no idea why whomever made that bass. Our first basses had just one pickup because someone talked me into it. Shortly after I was back on track with 2 pickups in every bass.

I have two sayings;

One I heard years ago, "the blind leading the blind". No offense intended here at all to people that are actually blind.

The other I heard when fishing one day and asked why all the boats scooted over to another spot with a splash in the water, "one fool draws many".

So, just because someone does something for what ever reason, doesn't mean you have to follow.