View Single Post
Old 07-12-2009, 09:02 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Neck angles and comfort..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken McKay View Post
Another thing is the angle of the neck in relation to the back.

I am asking here. If the neck angles back too much it makes it hard for the left arm and the player tends to want to lean back while playing in first position and then forward when going up to the higher positions. Right?

What are some landmarks in regard to this? I might need to do some drawings.
Not quite off topic but rather a very important comfort factor that is usually not even considered and we take what is given to us. Here are some pics of my basses for the sole purpose of looking at the Neck-to-body angles. I don't know the angles but there is so much else to be considered along with this for playability. The top arch, the center bout width, the back length, the rib depth at the neck and mid upper bout that may touch your body and the top and back lengths respectively with how the neck must be set as one plate is often longer or shorter then the other. Here we go;

Have a look at these and compare. Feel free to ask me which are easier to play standing and/or sitting. I hope I can remember them all otherwise I will have to test them and report back. One of them is out in restoration but I remember it fairly well. Have fun..