View Single Post
Old 03-29-2007, 01:22 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Prices..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Gencarelli View Post
My point exactly... that bass is only worth 10k if the buyer pays 10K for it. He didn't ask what the re-sale value is... nor did I qualify that as well. Are there other Juzeks that are selling for 10K? (I normally see their price points in the 6-8K range as well.)

With all due respect Ken, if I could sell a Juzek for 20K- does that not mean it is worth 20K to the person that bought it? Do I really care if they can sell it for 20K to get their money out of it? Will he hold on to it for 20 years and then sell it for 25K? Who knows?

Brian
Not to get into an argument Brian but there are countless numbers of these imported basses floating around in the country and I have heard so many people picking them up in the 2-6k range and some in great shape that I don't think a poorly repaired one is worth much at all. Recently Arnold had one that Jed completely restored beyond the level it was ever at even new and that sold only for around 8k.

Yes, if you pay 10k for a Bass, that day it was worth 10k to you. My point is more of what is the going rate for these Basses and their ranges of models and conditions. I happen to know them fairly well and too many 'plain Jane' Juzek labled or named basses try to market as a Master Art because of a Purfled design or a diamond in the button. When I bought my 3/4 Master Art they only had 2 or 3 of them. Mine with the Wenzel Wilfer label, a 7/8ths with WBW engraved in script under the button and maybe one more they had. They offered several models but only the Violin model with the highest flamed maple combined usually with individual tuning gears were the expensive ones. The rest came in as just regular basses sold by the grade of wood that Germany supplied.

The best way to judge the quality of a Bass in my opinion is with a Bow playing orchestral works. This is the most demanding array of sounds demanded of a bass. Playing Pizz with an Amp is no way to judge quality. The better the Orchestral capabilities, the more valuable the Bass is. You can plug in just about any 'table top' with Spiros on it and sound acceptable for Jazz but acoustic Orchestra Bowing is where we separate the Men from the Boys Bass-wise, and player wise on occasion..lol