Thread: DB Amps..
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2007, 06:30 PM
Senior Posting Member

David Powell is on a distinguished road
Default another lucid moment here

Well I finally accomplished what I set out to acquire about a year ago. I now have an Acoustic Image Coda R series III and it is everything Bob Branstetter crows about. I picked it up Tuesday and used it Wednesday for a private 4th of July party that we have now played for 8 years straight. It was such a difference that the client commented while we were doing the sound check. Over the past 8 years he has seen my gear change quite dramatically, but in steps. An integral part of the system I used is my Ampeg PB212H cab. This is the box I normally use with a PB800 head for my EBG gigs. Coupled with the AI Coda, I now have what is for me the most versatile set of amp gear that I could want or imagine. Both the AI and Ampeg PB800 are two channel heads so I can easily set up to double on EBG and DB when a gig calls for that. I can also go very light weight if need be and take nothing but the Coda. Or I can really gear it up and use the extension cab. If I have only EBG to play, I can stick with the Ampeg rig and run fretless and fretted.

Last night I used the Coda and Ampeg ext. cab in a way that I had not really anticipated. We have a jazz gig in a very small venue with only about 6 or 7 tables and a bar. Keeping our footprint small is really important and there is just no room for a PA. Using the Coda and the extension we were able to run the vocal through the 2nd Coda channel and put the guitar through a smaller combo amp that stacked nicely on the Ampeg cab.

Before the place had to turn on a noisy HVAC system we were able to do the gig with no amps. So now we can be heard again and we take up no more room than we did before. We had done a couple of the gigs with the vocal running through a two channel guitar amp (sounded horrible of course) and I ran the DB through my old Fender RAD to keep it small. Using the Coda cleaned everything up nicely, plus using an extension we were able to get the same wrap around that a PA would give. It's a very versatile amp. When you consider how many other gear items it eliminates the need for (6 of Alesis' best effects to boot), and how compact it is and how powerful it is, it really is a great value for the price. Of course if one is in the UK, I suppose that might not be the same thing. What is up with that? There must be huge import duty or something. Are all the American products that expensive in the UK??