View Single Post
Old 01-11-2010, 11:40 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Crack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas Bouda View Post
although...i have noticed that purfling design on countless other basses! i guess its a nice throwback to the vintage ones.

i love the bass. sounds great, and since i've been tuning it in fifths, its had the resonant and singing voice of a cello. there are a few things that i would change though: first of all, its a big bass (4/4) and the depth at upper bout is 8-7/8", which i think is pretty darn thick. also, it came stock with a wittner composite tailpiece (i don't like how it sounds or how it looks compared to the wood) , and the figure of the wood is pretty plain. however, the neck has recently begun to get a lot of noticeable flaming in it. does anyone have any ideas why the flame is coming out 7 years after i've bought this instrument?

a saddle crack developed the first winter here, but it hasn't spread so its stable (but buzzes occasionally). i wonder what the quality on their master grade instruments is - it must be exceptional!
Fix the Crack NOW before it spreads into a SP or 'bar crack. Have a small space cut around the Saddle on each side for expansion. Drop some Hide glue in the Crack in the mean time. The Bottled type mixed in hot water will be fine as a Temp. precaution for now.

As the wood shrinks, the flames will come thru as the varnish from UV exposure is also fading letting the wood grain show a bit more.

As wood shrinks, things crack and open too. Get a humidifier near the bass and get it close to 40% of you can.