View Single Post
Old 03-09-2007, 01:47 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Exclamation questions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Diza View Post
Hi Ken,

If I'm not misaken, you were very instrumental in Vinny Fodera's start in luthiery. I can see material choices such as an aluminum control cavity, and truss rod cover are used in both your line and Fodera's line. It would be interesting, for me at least, a design joint venture, or if you will, a limited edition of Ken Smith/ Fodera built basses. I'm just curious to know your thoughts about that.

Roy
Which question are you referring to up here?

I am NOT interested in any type of collaboration with any maker out there and have had the offer in the past but turned it down. Too many 'Cooks' in the kitchen!

Anything Fodera had in similar components is because he may have followed me, not having sources of his own at first. In some ways, not many though, he has grown away from that BUT if I should come out with something new one day, he and all the other 'Sheep' will be right behind me.

In short there are less leaders than followers. My reference above is that there are more Sheep than Sheep Herders if you know what I mean.

The Dovetail joint 'a la Gibson' was Vinnie's idea to save money and make a cheaper model sometime in 1980-'81. When I moved out to PA my main woodworker/Foreman mentioned that with good tooling like we had just developed and over time since 1985 (when we moved out to PA) that making a Neck-Thru is actually less work and a better model to make than a Glue-in Neck. We made Dovetails in PA as well from 1985 to about 1988. Then we went 100% neck-Thrus for awhile.

In 1989 I copied myself in Japan at the Morris Factory and made a beautiful Bolt-on line called the 'Burner Series'. With only 4 and 5-string models in the line we tried to now copy the 'Burner' this time and make a 6-string model. This was the start of the CR Line or as it was called internally then, a BT Bolt-on (BTBO). We made a change from the Burner with pitching the Neck itself to get some angle from the body. Later on in 1991, I made the tapered Center block so it would look Neck-thruish.

When ever we come out with something, someone is bound to copy it whether it be Peavey, Yamaha, Fodera, Tobias or even Fender. We cannot control this and anyone can buy wood and glue it together and put parts in them.

The question is, can they make a superior performance Musical Instrument that even Violin/Double Bass makers will admire from a craft standpoint and will musicians with the desire and ability to 'pay' for the best available be knocking on 'your' door?

A good Bass will sell itself to one who knows what he is holding. No salesman in the world can polish a 'turd' that good and make the sale.

One other thing to look at is the economics in Boutique Bass making. Here are a few things to be aware of when shopping;

1) Is your builder established and insured so your money is safe?

2) Are his instruments out there long enough to have a track record on reliability?

3) Does he drive an expensive Car or have a Luxury life style that you might be paying for rather than the Bass itself?

4) Is the Builder paying expensive Rent that you are paying for and not just the Bass?

5) Is he using stock parts with only a custom twist that a dozen other makers use making it a carcass builder only or is it a complete individual instrument?

6) Do Pro's actually buy his Bass or do they get them for Free so that you will pay for their Bass when you buy yours?

7) Does he treat the average 'joe'/'jane' buyer with the same build-time schedule he might give to some 'star' player?

8) Does he make you put a large percentage down and make you wait more than the estimated time or just a fair lower percentage deposit?

9) Does he promise to make it faster if you pay more upfront?

10) Is he consistent in the quality, pricing, delivery and general business dealings?

11) Can you reach 'him' on the phone or just a secretary or assistant?

12) Can you visit the shop to pick woods or look at your Bass in progress?

13) Do they/him seem to be away, not available or on Vacation many of the times you call to get answers?

14) Do they return your calls when they are not there or take your call when you call back?

15) Do you loose sleep at night worrying about your Bass being delivered or your deposit money?

16) Does it seem to be a parts-Bass made by another company with a Screw Driver, Fret File and Electronic Tuner being the main tools used to 'MAKE' your Bass when you visit the shop for a Tour?

17) When you visit or see a Tour on-line, do you see Boxes of Bodies and Necks as if they were shipped there and not made there?

18) Do they have a stock of aged Lumber to actually Make your Bass or just Body and Neck Blanks as if the parts were cut and supplied in that form?

19) Did the maker/designer ever actually play the Bass before building so he knows what language you speak?

20) Is he in business 5, 10, 15, 20, 25 or more years with a reputation of making consistent Basses?

My fingers are getting tired as well as my mind so I will stop here BUT add to this 'watch list' for Bass buyers to help one make an educated decision with your hard earned money.