View Single Post
Old 08-10-2007, 01:09 PM
Posting Member

Jeff Moote is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Jeff Moote

Thanks Bob and Ken for your insights into the job. Hopefully Arnold and Jeff will pop in at some point.

Ken, I think I may not have been clear on exactly what the problem is - it's not the location of the hole but the angle it's at such that the base of the socket does not fit flush with the bass. If you already understood that, sorry for repeating myself. I don't know for sure it's affecting the tone (in fact, it's probably not) but it's one of those things that seems like it should be fixed, no? My biggest problem is that the pin comes out at this angle making the bass balance funny at times.

One point of interest re: Bob's explanation of the procedure - my new pin has an aluminum socket, so that's not going to be one of the things adjusted. It does have a 17:1 taper which I understand is fairly standard(?)

I'm taking it to the luthier tomorrow, so we'll have a discussion about it then and see what he thinks. I do trust him as he's been doing honest business here for many years, but I just wanted to be careful since I've not worked with him before. The thing is there aren't a lot of alternatives around here - it basically means a trip to Toronto, where I know of some trusted names (so actually 2 round trips since I'd have to leave the instrument). I don't know a lot of players around here to ask about their experiences since I'm fairly new to this scene though I planned to ask my teacher when I talked to him next.