View Single Post
Old 09-15-2007, 12:59 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool tones...

First off, you lost one out of a car window and falling down the stairs with another? Gee, I think you might be hazardous to hang out with..lol

I recently owned to great master grade English Bows by Arthur Bultitude both made within two years of each other. I am picking this and another maker to better compare similar bows rather than different ones (apples to apples kinda). The first Bultitude had old black hair and sounded a little bright. After I played it for awhile, it warmed up quite a bit. The Bow had not been used for several years and I was the first owner in USA as well. Truly one of the best Bows I have seen in my life. The second Bultitude came soon after and had year old off-white hair, well rosined and played everyday for a year before I got it. This Bow was smoother and a tad more responsive than the other one. It also had more side camber. Two Bows of similar wood by the same maker made in the same period and each sounded and felt slightly different. Both great though.

The other two to compare are Bows made by Sue Lipkins made within about a year of each other. The one I've been playing for awhile I received just after the 2006 VSA Competition/Convention. This Bow was smooth at first without much bite. After a year of occasional playing (using several bows for various Basses and concerts) it has lost a few hairs, is well rosined and had gained a bit of bite. The second one I just got and sent it up to Sue for a Re-hair as it was also well played for over a year and needed a clean-up. After getting that one back and comparing it, the tone of the stick is about the same as it was with the old hair (from Lipkins as well) but with a new re-hair and more hair than the other Bow, I feel it is not as smooth as it was 2 weeks ago. This one is slightly darker sounding or rather smoother sounding than the other Bow. Both look fairly identical but the feel is slightly different. Both have the exact same white hair of the highest grade available.

Conclusion? Coarser hair sounds brighter or rather more edgy. White or smoother hair in comparison sounds smoother. Cheaper grades of hair regardless of color break faster and give less sound and might sound thinner as well. What the player hears on the Bass is not exactly the same as a listener 10 or 20 feet away. Sometimes a quieter Bow sounds louder and fuller when standing and listening to it being played some distance away from the Bass.

Bows vary in tone as much as Basses do. This is due to the wood and the making combined. CF bows are usually very consistent in materials (within brands and models) and less life-like in the variances. There are all grades of CF and wood bows on the market. Perhaps it's economics paying only about 1/10th the price for a workable CF Bow while the wood Bows I play start at 3k and run up to and over 10k. My old Sartory would fetch 12-15k today and the Frog was believed to be a replacement. THAT was the best Bow I have ever held in my life, hands down!