View Single Post
Old 09-21-2007, 02:34 PM
Junior Posting Member

Benjamin Bates is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyNaeger View Post
I think the one variable you're leaving out is the bass. It could be that your bass dislikes the change in humidity. Some people recommend a summer and winter soundpost. Your bow probably isn't going to be affected by the humidity changes much. It's carbon fiber, so it's not like it's absorbing moisture or anything like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Federle View Post
High humidity can have nasty effects on a bow's hair. This summer I was playing a series of summer outdoor concerts. This summer it rain almost every day for a few weeks straight, oddly enough except for our concerts. I felt like I was living back in the swamps. No matter what I did with my bow out there it would not work. Always felt like there was no rosin on whenever I would come back indoors was just gummed up. Hair can make or break even the best of bows.

Now as far as carbon fiber bows are concerned I have been very pleased with almost all of the ones that I have played. They may not all play quite as well as my stick, but compared to wood bows of the same price I find carbon fiber bows play much better. The sound is not the same, but they are still good sticks. In fact I wish I had one for those outdoor gigs.
Thanks for your replies; I was wondering if my posts were being ignored...

Interesting...the idea on seasonal soundposts, I might have to read up on some threads.

and it's interesting to see someone else gets the same "gummed up" effect on their bow. Thanks guys