Thread: 35 years..
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2014, 09:38 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Grable View Post
Ha,ha. I forgot that I had (and have) a few years on you. I never did B'way or studios, and by "NYC clubs" , for any youngsters that may read this, I mean
places like the Copa, Jimmy Weston's, El Morocco, the Embers and Jilly's, not the kind of clubs the Kardashians go to nowadays
I played mostly with piano trios often with a horn or two added, backing singers or running my own gigs. It wasn't the easiest way to make a buck. No pensions or welfare on those gigs. Check to check existence. It's worse now, I am told. There are very few steady gigs left.
Anyway, take care. I hope to get down Philly way to see you this summer.

Gerry
Yes, I got that.. I worked 2x at the Copa with Mercedes Hall (Anthony Michael Hall's mom), at Westons with Tommy Furtado, mostly as a sub but was there several times and at Jillys at least once that I remember and Errol garner walked in that night as well, Cool. Yes, you have a few years on me. El Morocco rings a bell. Was that the new name for El Zorro's next to the Ali Baba? That's the place I first worked in '69 and then '75 and '78. No, no Pension & Welfare on them gigs.. Call me if and when you come down my way..