View Single Post
Old 12-17-2011, 07:02 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Lamy Gamba..

I just got in one of these basses but it was restored about 2 years ago and modified as well at that time from 3 to 4 string so it was probably in storage un-played for quite some time.

Most of the things mentioned above were performed to improve the bass and results are impressive.

- The top was re-graduated.

- The flatback was also partially re-graduated where it was overly thick around the edges.

- The original single 'stair-step' center brace was replaced by a a single long diagonal brace.

- The long beechwood neck was replaced with a shorter maple neck graft shortening the string length down to 42".

- The neck-stand and block set were also improved for optimum playability.

After looking over the measurements of several J.-T. Lamy basses for sale or recently sold on-line I noticed that the violin cornered models were mostly under 42" string lengths and the gambas models with bigger overall body dimensions averaged at 42" or slightly bigger.

The bass I just acquired although quite large in the *7/8ths class (*USA measured), it plays quite easily with its current set up. The sound is nice and loose, huge, sweet and not at all typical French sounding due to its recent restoration work.

As I mentioned about, these French basses can be very nice if modifications are performed. The tone is very pleasing with the Bow and suitable for Orchestra or Jazz playing as well.