View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 12:59 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up ok..

I have since used the bass for a few rehearsals so far including tonight and last night. As of now, I plan on using it for my next few concerts over the next few weeks. I can get around not having the C-extension for the most part. I will be tuning down to Eb for Adagio for Strings by Barber that I am doing this week with my main orchestra.

The bass was just restored in Europe and is already starting to show signs of breaking in. It sounded good the first day I strung it up but it's getting smoother and deeper the more I play it. I still think I will make some modifications to the bass if I keep it long enough.

As far as the shoulders being cut as mentioned above, the lower bout as I see now was cut as well. The Purfling in the C-bouts look different than the upper and lower bouts. That tells me that they cut all but the C-bout areas, most likely at the same time. This is just about one of the nicest sounding German school basses I have ever heard. I would love to know who made it.

The bass is very comfortable to hold and play, sitting or standing, bowing or plucking as well as orchestra pizz with bow in hand. This is one of the great sounding German roundback basses made that is also not a big or cumbersome instrument. Many of the Mittenwald basses I have seen are quite large in comparison.

Currently, it is strung with 3 year old Belcantos that were also recently on and off a few basses before I put them on this old Lion.