View Single Post
Old 02-09-2007, 07:53 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up re: Big Guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken McKay View Post
That is one cool big guitar.

Here is the start of mine that I am building. http://www.upnorthstrings.com/cornerlessbass.html
I played it last night in my main Orchestra sitting on a stool and I must tell you it was sooooo comfortable. No Corners hitting my legs or Bow. The length was not painful. Just a bit out of tune from time to time but I will improve with that as I already have. The day before, I could not play the Vivo solo in the Pulcinella in tune. Last night I almost nailed it. Just a few notes and shifts I need some extra traveling to reach the intonation point. So in just a few days I have gone from 'total fear' of a bass over 42" to 'not so bad' on a Bass over 44"! Now, put that in your Bow and smoke it!

On the sitting thing, I must admit that this Bass just melted in my lap like no other has while sitting. I often alternate between sitting and standing mainly due to some discomfort with the Bass on the stool. Last night I was ready to put this Bass and its feel in my personal 'hall of fame' as far as all time most comfortable goes.

Ken, go and make your cornerless Bass. As much as an eyesore they might be to some makes up the difference in comfort for the player. Yes, carrying it out of the case is not as easy (so I grab it under the FB) but once you play it standing or sitting, all those problems go away in your mind.