View Single Post
Old 07-13-2010, 12:11 PM
Senior Posting Member

Eric Swanson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
The bow will hold it's value MUCH better with a RESTORED Original Frog. On vintage Bows with Replaced Frogs you can expect about a 40% devaluation for not having it original. For repaired/restored, maybe 10-20% depending..

If the Stick was broken and it's just getting pieced together then the value is not an issue. Just play it.
Interesting point. I went back and forth with Mr. Pasewicz, over a few days, on that very issue. I was concerned about both being a good steward for the bow and with resale. I was also concerned with his opinion as a craftsman, as to which would yield a more "sound" bow.

He said, that in this case, the devaluation would be a "wash." The original frog had nickel mounts. The new frog (with matching nut) would have silver mounts, hence, higher value. He also said that a modern frog and nut would yield a more structurally sound bow, in his opinion.

Thus, in either case, he estimated a drop in value of about 15%; either with the restored frog and nut (with nickel) or the new frog and nut (with silver)

He also, with some humility, said that while the repaired frog would look almost as good as new, in a few years, there may be even better adhesives/technology for such restoration efforts. He talked about the significant advances that have happened in the world of epoxies, within the last few years.

He was willing and able to complete either option. The new frog will actually cost more than a rebuilt one. It seemed as if it would yield a more stable bow, however, of similar (but, as you say, reduced) value.

I am certainly no expert on these things. I am only sharing the little information/perspective I have on this particular case.