View Single Post
Old 07-07-2007, 02:20 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool Nice..

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Powell View Post
String length and comfort / playability:

String length: longest whole step (half position)*, whole step at heel (D harmonic)*

41.5 inches: 39.1708 - 34.8972 = 4.2735, 27.6667 - 24.6481 = 3.01 inches

42 inches: 39.6427 - 35.3176 = 4.3251, 28 - 24.9452 = 3.05 inches

43 inches: 40.5866 - 36.1585 = 4.428, 28.6667 - 25.5391 = 3.1276 inches

44.25 inches: 41.7664 - 37.2097 = 4.5568, 29.5 - 26.2815 = 3.2185 inches

*Calculations of actual experienced stretches to reach across whole steps bases on the twelfth root of 2 as the factor between half steps.

The calculations show that the hand only must stretch slightly more than a quarter of an inch farther at the most between the shortest string given and the longest. The difference is dramatically reduced as one moves up the fingerboard. The difference looks daunting when considering the total difference of 2.75 inches. But that is a difference the hand experiences only in small fractions.
This is nice to see in actual numbers. The more I think about it, the more I consider doing less cutting on my larger Mystery Bass in restoration. The restoration is mostly done crack-wise but now Paul is lining up the Ribs and Blocks at he did quite a bit of correction on the 'buckled' sides. The next step is to fit it to the Back and then just lightly tack on the Top to do some measurements for which I will be in attendance. At that point we will determine the best action. String length alnoe is not the only problem. It is reaching the F# before the octave on the G-String and making it a comfortable D-Neck as well. The Cornerless Bass has slopes shoulders buy this baby is NFL material.

With the FFs positioned so far down, some type or types of corrections will be necessary which can include Block cutting/Shoulder-Block trim, Top/Back cutting with some rib re.bending hence 'cutting the Bass down' and moving the bridge forward up from the notches. Being that the Top is very strong and the FFs placed wide across (the old bridge being 170mm wide and still inside the upper eyes) moving the Bridge up an inch will be no problem at all. The Bass Bar in that Bass is only about an inch or so tall (I will ask Paul for an accurate measurement) and is older than anyone on the forum. Still, the Top shows no sign of ever having any type of sinkage. The extra tight and possibly 'ice age' growth rings of the Top may have something to do with its strength.

The String Length is not as much a factor in this re-mensuring of the Bass as is the comfort of reaching the F# and thumb position. As the Thread says, it's all about comfort.