View Single Post
Old 11-13-2008, 09:31 AM
Junior Posting Member

gennaevelyn is on a distinguished road
Question Help with Info on a Juzek I'm Considering

Hi there everyone;

I've been doing a lot of research on this forum and elsewhere about Juzeks because there is someone in my city selling a used Juzek half-sized bass and I'm trying to decide whether to buy it or not.

I was hoping you folks (Especially Ken Smith if he's around...) might be able to tell me a little more about this bass from the pictures (i.e., what possible year it might be, what its history might be, what one should expect to pay for it...)

I know the pictures aren't THAT great, but I did my best. Somehow over the years it ended up with a Hammond sticker on the inside that identifies it as a Juzek SB236 (alongside the normal Juzek sticker, I have a picture of it, but ran out of room to post pictures. If you need to see it, let me know!) but I don't know what this serial number might mean. S.tudent B.ass perhaps? I was able to identify it as obviously a laminate, but other than that I don't know much about it.

I went to play it today. It sounded decent, but not better than the bass I have now. But my problem is that with my level of experience I can't tell what a good luthier COULD do with the bass and whether it'd be a step up from the bass I have now which is a very nicely set up Engelhardt EC-1. My teacher is not really available to evaluate this bass for me so any thoughts you might have on its pedigree would be greatly appreciated.

Any general thought you might have on what a fair price for it would be (considering that it will have to be properly set up) would also be much appreciated.

(You should be able to see a slightly larger version of the photos if you click on them... I think...)

Thanks,

Genna.

Click image for larger version

Name:	061.JPG
Views:	518
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	725

Click image for larger version

Name:	065.JPG
Views:	503
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	726