View Single Post
Old 10-06-2010, 02:14 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool Top woods

There are many many kinds of Spruce and also Pine which has also been used on many Basses made in England, Italy and USA.

I am no expert in ID'ing Top species but I have owned many kinds of basses with almost as many species of Pine and Spruce.

For strength and durability medium to fine grained quartered Spruce is usually preferred. Basses with wider grained Tops are not as strong. Besides the Top wood itself, the arching and thicknessing are equally important.

I have seen 200 year old 3-piece odd grained Tops in fantastic condition and I have seen new basses with decent looking grain Tops as well that have already sunken in. The difference there was HOW the Bass was made, not from WHAT it was made from.

Care and usage also comes into play as well. Aging/seasoning of the wood plays a huge part also. Climate where the bass was made and where it is moved to live will also affect the Top as well as the entire bass.

My advice from having vast experience of ownership, restorations contracted and numerous basses viewed is to put your concentration on all factors, not just the species of wood.

That would almost be as blind sided as picking a car buy just the color alone!