View Single Post
Old 10-06-2010, 10:34 AM
Posting Member

Ruben E garcia is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne holmes View Post
Welcome Ruben!

I doubt if anyone will recommend anything other than spruce for the bass- top--------quality and kind vary. Experienced makers can speak to that better than I.

price-suggest you do a search "tonewoods for double bass" and let the fun begin- some very good suppliers and some you want to stay away from-price will vary depending on the grade(grain) of the wood. If you want to email me wholmesbassviol@yahoo.com or call me at 731-742-4107. I will tell you my experience with buying wood.

For your last question- do a search sawmills and tree removal businesses in your area. They sometimes get poplar and maple large enough to quarter for the back and sides.- Then you have to let it age. Also, you can contact International Violin, Methopolitan music, Howard Core Co-they will sell to "do it yourselfers" or shops.

Finding wood is not easy but it can be done with a lot of phone calls, emails and leg work. You can expect to spend several hundreds for top quality wood to build a bass. You are wise to ask a lot of questions and do a complete research before you lay out any money. In my humbled opinion/experience. The best of luck to you!
Thank you Wayne you are very kind, I will contact you for sure I can use some good adviste.......