View Single Post
Old 03-25-2007, 12:54 AM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Cool Ksd-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Rhodes View Post
I think I just had a bad one, - bad setup + dirty dead strings. That's usually the unfortunate case. It was the only Ken Smith bass in the shop and it did not play well - but that was then. The Burner Series are in there. I see them from time-to-time at a local 2nd-hand gear supplier ( www.atomicmusiconline.com). They generally sell extremely fast - high demand for them!

It's funny, sometimes those 1st impressions can be lasting ones. Nevertheless - that was the extreme distant past. My 1993 experience changed all that.

I am even a fan of the KSD 5-string. Check out the tone in this youtube.com video.

Lee Ritenour - Papa Was A Rolling Stone ( 5 minute mark - mini solo)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=e1zvA41qcVg

Very nice version of this tune! Great story behind this tune when the Temptations did it. I loved this arrangement.

As far as the bass sound with the KSD-5? Obviously a very nice sound for a bass in this price range! I was more impressed with the sound of this bass during the verse and chorus. Great bottom end tightness! Of course, tasteful playing does contribute a bit.

As far as the "pop-n-thumb", these basses sound really good, but just can't compete (IMO) with that "in-your-face" tightness of clarity and pop as you find in the BT circuit; then of course you are getting into the upper-end neck-thru's with this circuit and all that goes with that.

At any rate, like the Burners, nice bass and sound for the $'s. Very impressive!

I am going over some blues-type tunes now for a short gig tomorrow - with the 6-string
Make it good, Chris! Enjoy the gig tomorrow!

Last edited by Tim Bishop; 03-25-2007 at 07:41 AM.