View Single Post
Old 01-15-2015, 10:55 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool You're welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Swanson View Post
Follow up note...

I've had this in rotation with other stuff for a few weeks and I find it helpful; thanks again, Ken.
Eric, I have been so busy the last couple of years with Orchestra music that I only have time in the summer to work on etudes and stuff like that. During the season I have back to back concerts with 4 different orchestras now. Principal in 2 of them and section in the other two being the extra hired player in those two groups. So, I have to regularly look up or print out bass parts in advance for future concerts so I can be ready when the gig comes up. On 2 of the orchestras, I only come in the week of the concert by contract for 2 rehearsals and performance. One orchestra I work in can only afford one bass per rehearsal (all hired section, my guys!) up until the final week so we alternate the basses there prior to concert week so I do have the music and 1 or 2 rehearsals prior to the final week.

I went to a rehearsal last night which was the first for the orchestra for a concert next month. It was for a read thru on 'Respighi's 'Fountain of Rome'. Next week is a read thru for Mozart's Requiem (which I have done before solo, no section). So, I will throw in two free rehearsals as a sport. It's only 20 minutes away.

Then, I will show up next month for the last 3 services and let that group practice on their own in-between. I don't want to walk in the last week and suddenly realize that I don't have enough time to practice. With 4 overlapping orchestra jobs, I have to have the music as far in advance as possible to make sure I don't have any problems.