View Single Post
Old 09-11-2007, 04:31 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool hummm..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Federle View Post
My only real problem with the EPs sometimes is that they have a narrow band in which you can control them and get a good sound. I kept thinking with these big strings I needed to hit them harder, and that is just not good (lots of attach sound no tone), but on the same time if I am to light on them they just won't speak well either. General long tones though these have been the best orchestral strings for my bright bass. Hopefully with a little more time and experience these will work a little better under my bow.
Well, like I have said in the past, some Basses like some strings and some don't. I don't know your Bass so I can't comment or make suggestions at this point. In my case, I put them on a Bass that seems to be very 'string sensitive'. Sometimes I put a set on different than what I've used and the Bass improves and sometimes I put a new set on and wish I never bought the bass. It's that different with my Gilkes. Also, other players like different strings than me on the same Basses tested so what does that mean?

How do you like your steak cooked? Ah, I don't eat red meat. Ok, how do you want your chicken cooked? Ahh, I don't eat animal products..

You can please some of the people some of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time.

Tomorrow I take the Gilkes to a rehearsal and will see just how well these new strings work. We are playing various things so I will be using the entire range of the Bass including most of the notes on the C-Ext.