View Single Post
Old 10-30-2010, 09:14 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Gumroyan View Post
Ken,

What are the differences you hear & feel between the Passione & Belcanto ? I am reluctant to change the belcanto set on my Martin as they give a great "boom" and spread sonically. I briefly tried a set of original flexs when I first purchased my bass and they choked it out so I am assuming my bass likes low to medium tension. My only gripe with the belcantos is that their dynamic range is quite limited but I put up with it because of the compromise of sound and response. Are the passione strings quick to speak like the bels ?... Also, I just checked Pirastro's website and found that they offer a Stark set now. Any suggestions would be useful.
I have them on two basses (no ext.) and they play easier to me than the Bel's. I don't have the Starks yet to comment but I did suggest to Pirastro to make them. They said NO at that time. It seems as if I was not the only one testing them that gave the same feedback. The tension is similar to Weich Evahs with the gauges of the Flex. 92s and the smoothness of the Bel's and a slight bow grab/bite almost like the Spiro Weichs. Basically, about the best I have tested in a long long time.