View Single Post
Old 11-24-2010, 04:50 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool Starks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Trautwein View Post
I've been playing the starks for a couple weeks now, really nice strings. Loads of cojones and bow really well.
I have a set here now but have not decided on a bass to put them on yet. I have used the regular set on 4 of my basses now. One of the sets I moved from one bass to another and the others put on fresh. One of the sets is with the extension E/C, on my Mittenwald bass.

I have to say that so far, they are the smoothest/sweetest combined strings I have found for bowing. On the basses I have them on, Pizz is no problem either regardless of the style being jazz or classical. The most common type bass of the group is my German/Mittenwald. On that bass it works either way. On the other hand, I had Flex. Starks and it was just as good all around then, just tighter and required more bow pressure. I also have them on my Sirleto, a modern Italian bass. They bowed great on that bass but was a bit dry for jazz playing. I switched them with the Evah's that were on my Malvolti so now both basses seem happier..

As soon as I have a bass that needs a new set, I will try the Starks out. Right now, all the basses are strung just fine.