Thread: C-Extensions
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2010, 05:35 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Yes..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjetil Laukholm View Post
I feel every begginning extension player should learn on an extension with an e-stop only. You have to learn to play without the stops and you will learn faster if you have no chance to get lazy with the stops.
Get a latched extension or a keyed extension later.

A for letting other players cover low notes - I find it amateurish to show up on the job without the low notes.
Fingered is great for some things but having the latches allows you to lock the notes in place. In some pieces like Beethoven 3rd, 1st mvmt you need to start with C and lock it chromatically to Eb every 4 bar pattern playing the pedal note about 3 or 4 times each. Fingering it you might hit it good once or twice. Reaching back to lock it fast is only the first of each 4 bar pattern. It is in 'one' so you don't have much time. On the 6th Storm movement, you play it open. Two good examples from the same composer. The 5th and 9th are mixed open and closed from what I remember.

Personally, I would go for the best latched chromatic you can get that is easier to finger. This is better for the player all around and better for the Luthier knowing what to make from the start. The 3 basses I've used most in the last few years with Extensions were the Martini, Gilkes and Hart. The Gilkes was sold and maybe the best to play overall and a 41" length. The Martini and Hart are a toss up depending on the music. I used the Hart for my concert last week, the Martini the week or so before and its next to me here at home for a concert tomorrow. March and April, who knows? One of them or the Jacquet when it's done and if I can get used to it quick enough. All good classic Orchestra basses should have a high grade extension as standard. Like power steering and AC in a car. Can't go without it and get the job done.